Junior Graphics & UI Designer
Zurich – Updated October 2019
What we have in mind
You love every bit of UI design, be it typography, colours, spaces, branding or wherever your imagination leads you to. It goes without saying that you are creative, imaginative and explorative nevertheless you are practical and rational about the product development obstacles and limitations. There’s a lot of room for creative freedom. Besides doing the design tasks planned for you, you yourself can identify the areas for improvement in the product and take initiative to drive it. You take pride in your Graphics and UI design skills and you do not think of UI design any less than UX design or any other design niche.
Squirro’s logo is a squirrel. You see it as a great opportunity to use the mascot to build a unique and playful aura around the app. You work closely with designers and engineers on the team. You also support marketing and sales team members when needed. On some days, you are working on illustrations, themes, and styling, while on others you are creating templates for emails, brochures and powerpoint presentations. You do these while assuring high design standards and following best practices. Your end goal is to deliver a great user experience.
You pay attention to the details. You talk the design language and justify your designs with logical reasoning. You are open to constructive criticism and do not hesitate to share an opinion different from your colleagues. You take ownership of your tasks and drive the design stories. You get to learn about and contribute to core product pieces like data visualization, dashboard concepts, data insights and many more aspects related to our product. You interact with the clients and the end-users to develop the best designs and user experience and explain your final design decisions.
- Collaborate with the stakeholders to understand the product requirements and deliver innovative designs.
- Create sketches, wireframes, prototypes, spec sheet to communicate your ideas.
- Produce UIs, dashboards, brochures, newsletters, email templates, colour themes, and powerpoint presentations.
- Conduct usability testings and use the outcome to influence the product direction.
- Work closely with end-users on the UI and willing to travel to the customer site if need be.
- Follow Squirro style guide to deliver consistent design, bring in best practices and industry standards into the product.
- Manage style guide, pptx templates, logos, icons, graphic assets, and illustrations.
- Take responsibility for your tasks. Plan your work to deliver well on time.
- Experience: At least two years of experience and an education in Graphics / UI design field.
- Mediums: Experience in creating sketches, wireframes, prototypes, etc.
- Library: Thorough knowledge of Google material design.
- Knowledge: You think in pixels and care about environments, screen resolutions, devices, and responsiveness. You are well-versed in file formats and DPIs. You know the difference between RGB and CMYK or JPG and PNG.
- Patience: You do as many iterations as it takes till you get it right.
- Language: Good communication skills with fluency in English.
- Work Permit: Swiss citizenship or work permit in Switzerland, or living and working in the UK, EU, or EFTA member state.
Nice to have
- Library: Knowledge of different design languages and UI libraries.
- Tools: Fluency in using Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch, Balsamiq, or similar tools.
- HTML / CSS
- Mobile: A fair idea about gestures and animations on mobile.